Rules of engagement
Every online presence that invites comment needs a few rules. We have some too. But before we get to those, there’s a couple of other things you should know.
When you comment, you’re asked to give us a name and a valid e-mail address, which is not posted and which we will never, ever give to anyone. Our software collects a few other pieces of information when you visit — your ISP, IP address, ISP’s location, technical info about your computer and browser — all general and commonly collected by other Web sites. We won’t give any of that away either, and we use it only for our own enjoyment.
The content found herein belongs to the author, including your comments. We have no problem if you want to quote us, but if you’re interested in a repost, please contact us first at kim at aworldofprogress dot com.
Also, if you think you should be posting here, we are always looking for good, solid contributors. To be one, send us some samples that show you know what you’re talking about, or point us to your own blog. Having a wicked sense of humor helps.
And now, the rules.
- The First Amendment guarantee of free speech applies to government interference. We can do whatever we want.
- Your first comment is moderated. Once approved, that won’t happen again unless we turn it on specifically because you violated a rule or if you post more than two links in a comment.
- Spirited discussion is encouraged, but do not beat any dead horses. We bore easily.
- Some of our contributors curse like sailors. You can too, just don’t direct it at anyone.
- Name-calling isn’t name-calling if it’s true. We make the final call.
- Please avoid logical fallacies, e.g., straw men, ad hominems, red herrings, faulty conclusions, over-generalizations, etc. We don’t have time to explain sound reasoning to you.
- Don’t just say we’re wrong. Prove it. If you can’t, shut up.
- Read carefully. Your lack of reading comprehension is not our problem.
- Use of hackneyed and long-debunked arguments run the risk of Nunzia slapping an Intellectual Advisory on your post. You don’t want that.
- Telling us God will punish us for our sins runs the same risks.
- Condescension, patronizing statements and arrogance annoy us. Try not to annoy us.
- You do not know us. You know what we write on these pages. You know that we write on a progressive blog and probably have a fair amount of progressive viewpoints. But unless we say it specifically, you do not know it. Given time, you might know us better than that. Until then, don’t pretend you do. See Nos. 7 and 10.
- This is our house, but if you’re right and one of us is wrong, we’ll say so.
- Punishment for violating the rules of engagement varies depending on which one of us sees your post first and what kind of mood we’re in at the time. Generally speaking, you will be warned before any further action is taken (except for the Intellectual Advisory – if your comment warrants that, you get no warning — or if your offense is so egregious that we can’t stand the thought of your continued presence). Repeat offenders may get more warnings, or our response may escalate. You may be shunned, re-moderated, mercilessly ripped to shreds by the wittiest of us, fed to the alligators or banned from the site for a short period, a longer period or forever. We also hear that disemvoweling and ROT13 are fun. There are no appeals. See No. 1.