Morning pride 12/9
Welcome to The Morning Pride, ThinkProgress LGBT’s round-up of the latest in LGBT policy, politics, and some culture too! Here’s what we’re reading this morning, but let us know what you’re checking out as well. Follow us all day on Twitter at @TPEquality.
- The Post also calls on President Obama to show his full support for marriage equality.
- The New York Times says goodbye to the GOP’s banner of “gays, guns, & God.”
- Despite his support for civil unions, Jon Huntsman told the Washington Blade yesterday that the Defense of Marriage Act “serves a useful purpose.”
- Over 3,700 couples have gotten civil unions in Illinois in the first six months they’ve been legal.
- A Hawaii same-sex couple is suing the state for the right to marry.
- One Anchorage has collected over twice the number of signatures necessary to add an LGBT non-discrimination ordinance to the April municipal ballot.
- The United Nations discussed anti-gay bullying this week.
- Tyler Clementi apparently came out to his parents mere weeks before committing suicide.
- The Albany Times Union continues to raise awareness about transgender medical concerns.
- If the National Organization for Marriage wants people to believe people are being “defamed” for being anti-gay, they should stop highlighting people who didn’t face defamation.
- Truth Wins Out is taking out a full-page ad in the Ithaca Journal to debunk the lie that town clerks’ religious liberty is at stake over same-sex marriage.
- A new documentary is in production about the criminalization of HIV.
- Australia will no longer prevent its citizens from marrying same-sex partners in other countries.
- British parents protest that their children might learn about transgender people.
- The View‘s Elisabeth Hasselbeck calls out Michele Bachmann for not responding better to the 8-year-old who stood up for his lesbian mom.
- Team Coco follows the Michigan teacher’s lead to take all the gay out of holiday music:
Short URL: http://aworldofprogress.com/readingroom/?p=1589